Membership and Consignment Information
The Clever Hand Gallery is proud to show only the work of New England artists and craftspeople. Members and consignees must live in the New England states.
The Clever Hand Gallery is always looking for talented, creative people. The membership juries new work at our monthly meetings, usually held on the last Monday of the month. Please note: There is no jury in November and December. Contact the gallery to verify the meeting date and to determine if your work is of potential interest to us. We judge all submissions on originality, workmanship, and appeal to our customers, as well as similarity to current members’ work. We do not accept work that is factory-made or built from a kit. Please submit five to eight finished examples of your work (no photos), a completed application form, and a $20.00 jury fee.
Jury Information Sheet (pdf)
As owners of a cooperative business, Clever Hand members are part of a community of artisans. Members work in the gallery, help with daily operations, and participate in all decision-making.
- Share in corporation: $195.00. This may be paid in six monthly installments.
- Commission: members pay a 32% commission on sales up to $10,000/calendar year, and 15% on sales over $10,000/calendar year..
- Work obligation: approximately three half-day shifts per month; more during the December holiday season.
- Monthly meetings: regular attendance at membership meetings, held every month except December, is expected.
- Committees: members are required to serve on a committee, such as publicity or display, or hold an office.
- Members agree to stay in the cooperative for a full year.
The Clever Hand accepts work on consignment. Consignors pay a 50% commission on sales, and are not actively involved in running the business. The application process is the same as for membership.